Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pioneers

A pioneer is a person who is one of the first to do something. A pioneer may settle previously uninhabited territory, or open up new areas of thought or research. This is a largely celebrated holiday in Utah. For me it is a day off from work and a chance to relax. I do not have Mormon pioneer history, ones that crossed the plains. My dad is a convert and my mom's grandparents joined in Mississippi. Like I mentioned above, it is more of a day off from work/ day at the pool for me. I had a thought while I was at the pool celebrating pioneer day, what does pioneer day mean to me? I felt kinda guilty sitting there in the nice cold water when a hundred and some odd years ago there were people dying to get here. I cry easily so if you want to read stories click here. I began to think of pioneers in my lifetime. I first thought of my sister Kelly. She was the first to do everything in our family. Libby, was the first one to do everything on her own. She showed that it can and will be done. Abraham Lincoln, not only a good looking man, but he took charge a saved a nation. George Washington stood up for what he believed in and as a result we have this great country. Martin Luther King Jr. reminded us all of the Declaration of Independence that states that all men are created equal. Joseph Smith started the church. Paul Julius Gottlieb Nipkow created the television. Alexander Graham Bell created the phone. The point I am trying to make is that yes, these men did pioneer great things but when they were 5, 10, or even 15, they didn't know what they were going to bring to light. There are millions of things that we don't even realize that if someone didn't get bored of sitting in the dark, or wearing everyday clothes to the pool, or tired of hand writing, or tired of typing on a typewriter, who knows what this world would be like. I look at my nieces and nephews and wonder what are we teaching them now that will cause the cogs in their brains to turn and create magnificent things in the future. What am I to create, discover, or bring to light in this world? How am I going to be an everyday pioneer?

No comments: