Thursday, May 8, 2008

Color

Yesterday there was a great rain storm. It was loud and hard enough that everyone at the office went to the door and watched as the rain fell. It reminded me of home. There was a little flooding of the gutters and giant raindrops. The storm only lasted for about a half hour but was beautiful. When I got home from work, we went to the store to pick up some last minute home decor for our house warming party. Driving to the store I notice how much I miss Louisiana. The rain storm was one of those that nourishes everything. Every plant or tree or blade of grass was a deep rich bright green, and the fields that had just been plowed were a rich chocolate brown. Living in the 'desert' you appreciate color when you see it. The mountains, which I refer to as big piles of dirt and rocks were a vibrant green, with the way the setting sun was hitting them. Spring is here.
The reason for venturing out in the cold wet evening was to get some drapes for my bedroom. Don't get me wrong I love light but just not at night. I had never put up curtains but figured it wasn't that difficult. After about an hour and a few holes, I will have to putty, I have drapes. I did it. I love when I try new things and they come out successful. Lately I have tried several new things. I made a baby blanket for a friend, I hung heavy framed art, etc. I love that I can do things that I once thought I would need help with, or that it would be easier to go out and buy or hire someone to do it for me.
Monday was Cinco de Mayo. My roommates and I made anything mexican. I made my salsa, well salsa that I learned from an ex-boyfriend. It is very simple but gets the job done. I'll include the recipe incase anyone wants to make it.
2 large tomatoes
1 large onion
1 thing of cilantro
1-2 jalapenos
lime juice
garlic salt
chop, finely or not, all ingredients into a bowl. stir. then add lime juice and garlic salt to taste. The salsa will not taste right until there is enough lime juice and garlic salt. Its not an exact amount, its a recipe that has been passed down, so it more to taste. I usually add what i think is more than enough and taste it and then add some more.

No comments: