Friday, November 7, 2008

Accept it or pack your bags

I am not one to be political. I do NOT like arguing or confrontation, so I stay out of it and keep my opinions to myself. When I was growing up I remember going to the small church on the outskirts of the neighbor hood with Mom so she could go vote. There we no endorsements in our front yard, My parents did not talk to others about who they were voting for. It was a private matter. Today we have celebrities backing politicians and giving their income to help their cause. Carrie Underwood makes a great point here. They use their celebrity power to influence peoples votes. I personally like watching the Ellen show and Oprah. They both publicly support candidates and propositions that I do not. I think they are funny and intelligent women but I wish they would have just kept their political ideals to themselves. Everyone knows that Ellen is gay, did she really need to make a big deal about it on her show? We knew how she was going to vote on Proposition 8. Plenty of celebrities have put forth millions of dollars for voting against Prop8. Now that the Proposition has passed there are rallies and protest in front of Mormon Temples. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints did NOT donate a large amount of money to voting Yes on 8, other people did. Members and Nonmembers alike donated their own money. Why target the LDS church?
The voting has finished the country has a new president and Californians have spoken and voted Yes on Proposition 8. After McCain learned that Obama had won the Presidential race, McCain responded with this speech. Showing his maturity, and this can be found in the 4 paragraph of the previous link, "At the mention of Obama's name, McCain's supporters booed and hissed, but he quickly silenced them, and after a pause, he spoke of Obama's ability to inspire disenfranchised voters and touted this election's special place in history." I really loved that about him. What good was it going to do to boo the new Presidents name, at McCain's party?? It's like booing at a football game. One team has to lose. Big an adult and congratulate them for their hard work, don't boo them because You lost. I loved how McCain said Obama is THE new President of the USA. We must respect him and follow him as Americans. We may not always agree but he was chosen as our leader. As citizens of this country it is our duty. It is the same in the church when someone receives a calling, you raise your hand to the square to sustain them and promise to support them. You might not like them as a person, but they are there to do a job not win the best friend award.

So, my main point is even though you might not like the new laws or President its going to be that way for a while. The votes are in, ACCEPT them!!!
If that doesn't fit your cup of tea, then maybe this will.
We live in AMERICA, the greatest land on earth. You are welcome to leave if you do not like it here. No one id forcing you to stay! There are hundreds, if not thousands of people dying (literally) to touch AMERICAN soil. They would gladly accept a chance to be free and live for the AMERICAN dream. Count yourself lucky, you are already here.
A quote from Thomas Jefferson that I love:
My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on earth enjoy!

4 comments:

DiaNe said...

this is beautifully written. Bravo.

And it is ALWAYS about winning the best friend award... :)

Kelly said...

I thought you were a construction major, not political science! Good writin' !

Laura said...

Abby - Great post. The church actually didn't donate any money; members did. What gets me is the "No on 8" campaign actually rasied more money but still lost. Seems like they should be pointing the finger at themselves on this one.
I agree with you that celebrities should keep their mouths shut when it comes to political stuff. So annoying!

Mary said...

AMEN, sista'! :)
Miss you!
Love your Halloween costume by the way!